Chiang Rai är Thailands nordligaste provins och ligger vid floden Kok c:a 78 mil från Bangkok.
Provinsen Chiang Rai täcker en yta om c:a 11.678 kvadratmeter och medelhöjden är 580 meter
över havet. I provinsen Chiang Rai finns den (ö)kända "Gyllene Triangeln där
Myanmar (Burma), Laos and Thailand möts i ett treriksröse. Gyllene triangeln utgär en port till Myanmar, Laos och södra Kina.
Chiang Rais historia
Chiang Rai grundades år 1262 av Kung
Meng Rai och blev kungadömet "Lanna
Thais" (de miljoner risfältens kungadöme) första huvudstad men erövrades senare av Burma.
Först år 1786 blev Chiang Rai åter thailändskt territorium och år 1910, gav Kung Rama VI Chiang Rai provinsiell status.
Chiang Rai som turistmål
Idag är Chiang Rai ett paradis för turister som erbjuds ett spektakulärt lanskap med berg och dalar, ruiner som vittnar om svunna storhetstider och etniska folkslag som behållt sina fascinerande livsstilar.
För den naturintresserade finns en mängd vandringsleder av varierande svårighetsgrad och den som söker lugn och ro uppskattar det sävliga tempot och den stressfria attityden som här utgör en livsstil.
Staden Chiang Rai har en mängd marknader där man verkligen kan fynda. Här finns allt från färsk mat till blommor, kläder, hantverk och andra souvenirer.
road och busstationen är en salig blandning av cabaretspektakel, billig mat, barer och stånd som säljer lokala produkter som hantverk, smycken och konst.
Chiang Rais stora marknad som ligger vid "songteow"-stationen erbjuder nästan allt man kan tänka sig t ex lokal frukt, grönt och lagad mat samt naturligtvis buddhastatyetter, amuletter och medicinalörter.
Förutom dessa två stora marknader finns en mycket charmig blom coh frukt-marknad norr om busstationen i Chiang Rai.
Marknaden för färska livsmedel ligger nära Oub Kham Museum och är täckt med ett tak i typisk
Kulturellt är Chiang Rai a mishmash
of ethnic communities, and the city is peppered
with a varied selection of religious structures
that serve these different groups. Wat Phra Singh,
situated in the northern section of the old town,
contains one of oldest Buddha images in Northern
Thailand. However, it is the abundance of hill
tribes in the province which had an interesting
facet to the city - and the streets are sometimes
awash with colour as these minority groups in their
bright traditional costumes hawk their wares.
Chiang Khong is a small, peaceful district on the
bank of the Mekong River opposite Huaixai,
Lao PDR. It is about 115 kilometers from the
provincial seat, or approximately 55 kilometers to
the east of Chiang Saen on Highway No. 1129. Chiang
Khong is noted as the place where Pla Buk,
giant catfish, is cultivated. The Chiang Khong Fishery
Station is able to inseminate and breed Pla
Buk, the largest fresh water fish in the world and
fingerlings bred here have been released in several
rivers. It should be noted that the fishing season
is from mid-January to May.
Sightseeing trips by boat
are available to view the scenery and life styles
along the Mekong River. An additional attraction is
a visit to Ban Hat Bai, a Thai Lu community noted
for making beautiful local fabrics. To cross over
to Huaixai town in Lao PDR, contact the immigration
office or tour agencies at Chiang Khong.
An ancient town located on the bank of the Mekong
River, Chiang Saen was originally called Wiang
Hiran Nakhon Ngoen Yang. It served as the
capital of the Lanna Thai Kingdom until King Mengrai
established Chiang Rai as the capital in 1262.
Ruins of the old double city walls and many other
antiquities remain both inside and outside the
district town. Most notable is the distinctive
style of Buddhist sculpture which evolved in Chiang
Saen during the late thirteenth century providing
proof of the city's historical importance.
cultural heritage, coupled with natural tourist
attractions, has made Chiang Saen a unique
Travelling to Chiang Saen
This riverside town facing the Mekong River
is 30 kilometers from Mae Chan District via
Highway No. 1016. Alternatively, it can be
reached by taking Highway No. 110 from
Chiang Rai (the city), then take a right turn
into Highway No. 1016 and proceed for another
It may probably
be easier rent a car in Chiang Rai and
then drive to Chiang Saen, but renting a motorbike
may be a better bet as the roads one will
probably explore in the area are easier to negotiate
by two wheeled transport.
There are numerous buses traveling from
Chiang Rai to Chiang Saen for around 20 baht one
way. The trip can take from 45 minutes to 2 hours,
depending on the traffic and the number of stops
it makes en-route. If you travel from Chiang Mai,
it is advisable to ask for the 'new route' (sai
mai) as this only takes 4 to 5 hours and makes
only a few stops en-route. The old route can take
over 9 hours to complete with many stops along
Chiang Saen Lake
Drive five kilometers south of Chiang Saen, along
Highway No. 1016 (Chiang Saen-Mae Chan route),
take a left turn and you will find Chiang Saen
Lake: a large natural reservoir with scenic surroundings.
The lake is home to large flocks of migratory waterfowls
which are most plentiful and can be seen at their
best from November through February. In addition
to the scenery, accommodations and water sports
facilities are available.
Chiang Saen National Museum
Located in old town Chiang Saen, this museum exhibits
artifacts excavated locally including a well-known
Chiang Saen-style bronze Buddha image and Lanna
Thai artifacts. Inscription stones from Phayao
and Chiang Saen itself can be found in the museum.
In addition, there are exhibitions of indigenous
art objects of the Thai Yai, Thai Lu and other
hill tribes. These items include musical instruments,
ornaments and opium-smoking accessories. The museum
is open on Wednesdays through Sundays from 9.00a.m.
to 4.00p.m., except on national holidays.
Phra That Pha Ngao
Located about 4 kilometres along the Chiang Saen
- Chiang Khong Road is Phra That Pha Ngao which
has a bell-shaped chedi situated on large boulders.
Nearby is a vihan where several old Chiang Saen-style
Buddha statues are enshrined. This hilltop temple
offers a unique and spectacular view of the Mekong
River, Laos and of Chiang Saen itself.
The Golden Triangle - Sop Ruak
A trip to Chiang Rai province would not be complete
without seeing the notorious Golden Triangle
first hand! This is the point where Thailand,
Myanmar and Laos meet at the confluence of the
Ruak and Mekong Rivers and was once
supposed to be the center of all the poppy
cultivation in Thailand.
It is possible to take a long
tail boat ride up the Mekong, and close
to the Lao side, where vendors sell Lao
beer from their floating bars. The town
has an active market during the day, and
also hosts the House of Opium, a museum
detailing the opium trade which made the
Travel approximately 9 kilometers north
of old town Chiang Saen, along the road parallel
to the Mekong River to the area where the borders
of Thailand, Myammar and Laos converge. This
area where the Mekong River meets the Ruak River is
locally referred to as "Sop Ruak". Within
this area are remains of many ancient places and structures
attesting to the fact that the area had been
settled by people in the past. It is also the area
where various legends concerning the Lanna ancestors
Boats can be hired in order to view the upstream
scenery of the Golden Triangle and to travel downstream
to Chiang Khong. The trip to the Golden Triangle
and Chiang Khong would take approximately 40 minutes
and 1 hour respectively, depending on river currents
and water levels.
Hall of Opium, Golden Triangle Park
The Hall of Opium at the Golden Triangle Park
houses several sections to be explored and various
exhibitions to be contemplated. For example, the
5,600 square-meter Hall of Opium presents An Invitation
to the Mysterious World of Opium from Darkness
to Light, the history of opium as of 5,000 years
ago from its natural properties to its uses. It
traces opium's global journey through trade routes
in the age of imperialism, culminating in the Opium
Wars-an event that disgraced both winners and losers
that led to the fall of the Manchu Dynasty. It
also features Siamese wisdom in confronting the
West and the eventual control of opium problems.
Other exhibits are presented in a manner that encourages
visitors learn how drugs become a part of everyday
life and understand the impact of opium on society
in terms of crime, conflict and illegal drugs. Additionally,
the Hall of Opium presents efforts to curb drugs through
actual case studies that offer alternatives and opportunities
in fighting against the temptation of drugs.
The Hall of Opium also displays paraphernalia associated
with opium smoking and trading, along with many photographs,
films, and videos about opium and other illegal drugs
from countries around the world.
The Hall of Opium is situated in Chiang Saen District,
opposite the Anatara Golden Triangle Resort and Spa:
Tel: 0 5378 4444 Fax: 0 5365 2133,
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website: www.goldentrianglepark.com
Just two kilometers away from Chiang Saen Lake is
Phra That Doi Pu Khao which is believed to have
been built by a king of Wiang Hirannakhon Ngoen
Yang in the middle of the 8th century. This riverside
temple near Sop Ruak Market is located on a hill
just before the Golden Triangle and offers a spectacular
view of the Golden Triangles riverine and mountain
areas. The vihan and crumbled chedis are the only
visible remains of antiquities today.
Phra That Doi Pu Khao
Wat Pa Sak
Located outside the city walls, approximately one
kilometer to the west of Chiang Saen in Tambon
Wiang is Wat Pa Sak, which used to be the resedence
of the patriarch. When King Saen Phu built the
temple in 1295, three hundred teak trees were planted
hence the name Pa Sak (Teak Forest). With ornamental
stucco motifs, the temples chedi, which is 12.5
meters tall with a base of 8 meters wide, is regarded
as being one of the most beautiful examples of
Lanna architecture in northern Thailand.
Wat Phra That Chedi Luang
Next to Chiang Saen National museum is an ancient
88-meter high, bell-shaped, Lanna style principal
chedi which has a 24 meter circumference base.
Constructed in 1290 by King Saen Phu, the 3rd ruler
of the Lanna kingdom, it is the tallest religious
Lanna monument in Chiang Rai. In addition, there
are also remains of ancient vihans and chedis.
Wat Phra That Chom Kitti
Located approximately 1.7 kilometres from town,
this hilltop temple has a pagoda containing a Buddha
Wat Sangkha Kaeo Don Han
Situated not far away from Wat Phra That Chom Kitti
is Wat Sangkha Kaeo Don Han where sketches on brick
slabs tell stories about the various reincarnations
of the Lord Buddha.
Mae Chan, which is about 29 kilometers to the north
of Chiang Rai, serves as a trading post where the
Akha and Yao hill people sell their goods and buy
manufactured items. Silver and other tribal handicrafts
are available at local shops.
Doi Mae Salong
Doi Mae Salong is the site of Santi Khiri village,
a community settled by the former Chinese
93rd Division who moved from Myanmar to reside on
Thai territory in 1961. The village became well known
for its enchanting scenery and tranquil atmosphere.
Today it is a major tourist attraction with
its small-town ambience, delicious native Chinese
dishes, small hotels and guesthouses catering to visitors
and tea, coffee and fruit tree plantations.
The scenery is especially picturesque in December
and January when sakuras are in full bloom. Scattered
with many hill tribe villages, Doi Mae Salong
is ideal for trekking.
To reach Doi Mae Salong, take
the Chiang Rai-Mae Chan route for 29 kilometers, then
turn left and proceed for another 41 kilometers (passing
a hot spring). The return trip can be taken on routes
nos. 1234 and 1130 which wind through Yao
and Akha hill tribe villages. From Doi Mae Salong
a road leads to Tha Thon, the starting point for the
Kok River cruise, a distance of 45 kilometers. There
are hotels and guesthouses to accommodate
tourists and a paved road leading to the village.
Doi Pha Tang
Doi Pha Tang is located 32 kilometers from Wiang
Kaen District and 160 kilometers from the provincial
town. The scenic mountain is the home to the Chinese
Haw, the Hmong and Yao minorities. The Haws are
the former 93rd Chinese Division who moved to settle
on Doi Pha Tang. From the hilltop, visitors can
enjoy panoramic views of Thai and Lao rural areas.
The mountain is more popular during winter when
the cherry blossoms are in full bloom and a sea
of mist covers the whole area.
Doi Tung is located in Mae Fa Luang District and
can be reached by taking Highway No.110 for about
48 kilometers and turning left onto Highway No.
1209, an asphalt road leading directly to Doi Tung.
The route winds through beautiful scenery with
many interesting sites including the Doi Tung Palace
(Pra Tamnak Doi tung), the Mae Fa Luang Garden
and Akha and Muser tribal villages. IN addition
to scenic lookouts, the most notable attraction
is the Phra That Doi Tung Holy Relic, an old religious
site atop the mountain.
Also located on Doi Tung
Mountain is a beautiful royal residence known
as Phra Tamnak Doi Tung. The royal villa, situated
on the slopes of the adjacent Pa Kluay Reservoir,
was to serve as a royal winter retreat for
the Princess Mother, who passed away in 1995 and
was originally built on the theory that the local
hill tribes would be honored by the royal presence
and thereby cease their opium cultivation.
attraction for visitors to Phra Tamnak Doi Tung
is 'Suan Mae Fa Luang', the beautiful landscaped
gardens filled with hundreds of different kinds
of plants and flowers, named in honor of the Princess
Mother and the Doi Tung Development Project established
by the late Princess Mother in 1987.
Wat Phra That Doi Tung
Wat Phra That Doi Tung is situated on top of Doi
Tung Mountain, the highest mountain in Chiang
Rai Province with an elevation of approximately 2,000
meters, about 50 kilometers south of Mae Sai
town which is near the Myanmar border. The temple
can be reached via a 40-kilometer mountain road which
meanders along the mountainside. The journey
is worthwhile as the panoramic views into Laos and
Myanmar at the peak are spectacular.
That Doi Tung was constructed in the 10th century
and was renovated by Chiang Rai's most famous ruler
King Mengrai during the 13th century and by the famous
Chiang Mai monk, Khru Ba Siwichai, at the turn of
the 20th century.
The temple complex is comprised of twin Lanna style
chedis, one of which is said to contain the left
collarbone of the Lord Buddha. Throughout the year,
the holy relic draws devout Buddhists from all
over Thailand, Laos and Myanmar.
Doi Hua Mae Kham
Doi Hua Mae Kham is the domicile of the hill tribes
near the Thai-Burmese border, about three hours
by road along the Mae Chan-Ban Thoet Thai-Ban Huai
In route which winds along the steep mountain edges.
The inhabitants are predominantly of the Lisu tribe,
with a smattering of the Akha, Hmong and Muser
tribes. Doi Hua Mae Kham is most spectacular in
November when the yellow wild sunflowers are in
Mae Sai which is about 62 kilometers from the provincial
seat on Highway No. 110 is Thailand's northern-most
district. Mae Sai borders on Myanmar's Tha Khi
Lek marked by the Mae Sai River with a bridge spanning
both sides. Foreign visitors are allowed to cross
over to Tha Khi Lek market by presenting their
passports and paying a fee at the Mae Sai immigration
checkpoint. In addition, there are tour services
to Chiang Tung in Myanmar, which is approximately
160 kilometers north by road.
The most northern Thai town, Mae Sai bustles with
the excitement of cross-border trade. All
day people come and go across the bridge to Myanmar,
peddling their wares, which range from cheap duty
free imports, through all manner of exotic herbs
and roots from the forest, to precious stones and
antiques. Temples perched on a hill above the town
provide excellent views across this busy market
and into neighboring Myanmar. A short journey to
the south of town are several extensive caves.
Chiang Rai has the highest concentration of ethnic
minorities in the country, and it is not unusual
to see tribal people going about their business
whilst travelling through the province. Indeed,
many of the mountain roads have become focal points
for the tribes, where by day they set up markets.
If you are interested in visiting hill tribe villages,
then Chiang Rai is a great place to do this.
The Population and Community Development Association
(PDA) is a non-government organization responsible
for some of the most effective tribal development
projects in the region. The popular "Cabbages & Condoms" restaurants,
with branches here and in Bangkok (and now a resort
in Pattaya), carry their important message of safe
sex and family planning. On the top floor of this
office is a small Hilltribe Museum that's heavy
on "shop" and light on "museum," but
the admission goes to a good cause. Open daily
9 a.m. to 8 p.m.; admission fee is 50B ($1.20)/person.
Address: 620/25 Thanalai Rd., east of Wisetwang
Road (tel. 0 5371-9167)
Ho Watthanatham Nithat
Ho Watthanatham Nithat is a museum exhibiting ancient
artifacts and written records on history, literature
and indigenous knowledge as well as exhibits on
royal activities by the late Princess Mother at
Doi Tung. Located at the former town hall, it is
open to the public on Wednesdays through Sundays
from 8.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.
King Mengrai Stupa
The King Mengrai Stupa in front of Wat Ngam Muang
atop Doi Ngam Muang in Muang District was built
by King Chaisongkram to contain the remains of
his father (King Mengrai).
King Mengrai the Great Memorial
The King Mengrai the Great Memorial is located
in Muang District at the intersection leading to
Mae Chan. King Mengrai was the ruler of Nakhon
Hiran Ngoen Yang (now commonly known as Chiang
Saen) before Chiang Rai was established as the
administrative centre in 1262. He consolidated
his power by merging the different city-states
in the North and founded the Lanna Thai Kingdom
in 1296 with Chiang Mai as the capital.
The Kok River is one of the most scenic attractions
in Chiang Rai. It runs from Thathon in northern
Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai City and then flows on
to meet the Maekhong River at Chiang Khong. From
Baan Thathon boats, rafts and treks leave daily
venturing into the surrounding mountains where
the jungle dips into the river's cool waters. A
long-tailed boat can be hired to ferry visitors
up and down the river. Stops can be made at Akha
or Iko, Lisu and Karen hill tribe villages. Alternatively
stops can be made at the Buddha cave, a temple
within a cavern; an elephant camp, for trekking;
a hot spring; and a riverside Lahu village. Trips
range from 300 bahts to 700 bahts ($7-$16), depending
on the number of stops made. The ferry pier is
beyond the bridge across from the Dusit Island
Ku Phra Chao Mengrai
Ku Phra Chao Mengrai This stupa is situated in
Wat Ngam Muang on Doi Ngam Muang in the Chiang
Rai township area. It is the place where the ashes
and relics of King Mengrai are housed.
Nam Tok Khun Kon Forest Park
Nam Tok Khun Kon Forest Park can be reached by
taking Highway No.1211 from Chiangrais town. After
traveling 18 kilometers turn right and proceed
for another 12 kilometers. Alternatively, you can
drive along Highway No. 1 (Chiang Rai-Phayao) for
about 15 kilometers, turn right and proceed for
another 17 kilometers, then take a 30-minute walk
to the waterfall. The 70-metre high Khun Kon or
Tat Mok Waterfall is the highest and most beautiful
in the province. Surrounded with dense woods, the
area is also good for hiking.
Oub Kham Museum
Oub Kham Museum is located near Den Ha market,
one kilometer from the town center. The collection
includes objects from the areas once belonging
to or affiliated with the Lanna kingdoms encompassing
northern Thailand and some parts of northeast Myanmar,
southwest China and Vietnam. Apart from objects
used in rituals the collection mainly consists
of objects used at the royal courts including lacquer
ware, silver jewelry and clothing. Most notable
is a golden bowl, a masterpiece, used by royals.
It is open daily from 9 am. to 6 pm. Admission
fee is 100 bahts per person. For more information
Rai Mae Fah Luang
Rai Mae Fah Luang is a cultural centre and centre
of Lanna Studies dedicated to the conservation
and promotion of Lanna heritage.There are 5 exhibit
a. The Botanical Gardens and Nature Park
b. The Haw Khumm(Golden Pavilion)
c. The Haw Khum Noi (Small Golden Pavilion)
d. Sala Kaew-A ceremonial space for riturals
e. Haw Kaew-Gallery of Lanna Cultureal Arts.
Rai Mae Fah Luang opens daily from 10.00-18.00
hrs. except Monday.
Entrance fee: Baht 200
Wat Doi Thong
Wat Doi Thong (Phra That Chomthong) sits atop a
hill above the northwest side of town, up a steep
staircase off Kaisornrasit Road. This location
where King Mengrai is believed to have chosen the
site for his new Lanna Capital offers an overview
of the town and a panorama of the Mae Kok Valley.
The chedi of Wat Doi Tong containing what is believed
to be the oldest Holy Relic was probably renovated
at the same time that the town as being built.
The circle of columns at the top of the hill surrounds
the city's new lak muang (city pillar), built to
commemorate the 725th anniversary of the city and
King Bhumibhol's 60th birthday.
Wat Phra Chao Lan Thong
Wat Phra Chao Lan Thong is located within the city
walls. This temple was built by Prince Thong Ngua,
a son of King Tilokkarat, the 12th Lanna ruler
in 1489. A 1,200-kilogram Buddha statue with a
lap width of 2 meters and height of over three
meters was cast and named Phra Chao Lan Thong.
Another statue called Phra Chao Thong Thip which
is made of brass in the Sukhothai style was also
Wat Phra Kaeo
Wat Phra Kaeo, which is located on Trairat Road
on the northwest side of town, is the best known
of the northern temples. It once housed the Emerald
Buddha, Thailands most important Buddha statue
which was discovered in 1444. The statue had been
moved by various state rulers to be placed in their
capitals including Lampang, Chiang Rai and Vientiane
before finally being enshrined in Bangkok's royal
Wat Phra Kaeo. There is now a green jade replica
of the image on display. The temple also houses
a 700-year bronze statue of Phra Chao Lan Thong,
which is housed in the Chiang Saen style ubosot.
Wat Phra Sing
Wat Phra Sing is 2 blocks east of Wat Phra Kaeo,
situated on Singha Klai Road. The restored temple
is thought to date from the 15th century. Inside
is a replica of the Phra Singh Buddha, a highly
revered Theravada Buddhist image, as the original
was removed to Chiang Mai's Wat Phra Singh. The
original buildings are fine examples of classic
religious Lanna architecture, with their low sweeping
Wat Rong Khun
Wat Rong Khun is also known as the White Temple.
Whereas most temples visited by tourists have a
history going back many centuries, this magnificent
place of worship was built only recently. It is
the realization of a dream for Thailands noted
artist, Mr Chalermchai Kositpipat, who designed
and is supervising the construction of this beautiful
white temple and its many statues of figures based
on religious beliefs. The construction started
in 1998 and is expected to be completed in 2008.
In addition, there is a gallery nearby exhibiting
his paintings. To get there from the city of Chiang
Rai, drive north along Asia Highway.
Doi Luang National Park
Doi Luang National Park is 65 kilometers south
of Chiang Rai town and covers an area of 1,170
square kilometers in Phan District. Apart from
hiking trails, the forested park features a few
waterfalls of which the largest is Pu Kaeng Waterfall.
This impressive fall has nine leaps and flows all
year round. To reach Pu Kaeng Waterfall drive along
the Chiang Rai-Phayao route for 58 kilometers to
arrive at Ban Pu Kaeng. At kilometer 77, take a
right turn and proceed on for another 9 kilometers.
It is a large waterfall amid virgin jungle with
water cascading down limestone brooks. Camping
areas and jungle trekking services are available.
Doi Pha Mon Agricultural Center
Doi Pha Mon is located at Amphoe Thoeng. During
the winter months visitors are treated to splendid
flower bed s of tulips, lilies, red salvia, poinsettias,
etc. To get to Doi Pha Mon from the city, go along
Highway No. 1020, then take Highway No. 1155. The
journey takes approximately 2.5 hours.
Phu Chi Fa
Phu Chi Fa is approximately 25 kilometers to the
south of Doi Pha Tang in Thoeng District. The cool
climate produces colorful flowering shrubs and
the large meadow on the top provides breathtaking
views of Laos. In addition, spectacular scenery
can be seen from the sheer cliff of Phu Chi Fa,
especially the sea of mist at sunrise. Visitors
can stay overnight at Ban Rom Fa Thong and Ban
Rom Fa Thai.
Khun Chae National Park
Khun Chae National Park is located at Tambon Mae
Chedi Mai of Wiang Pa Pao District. It can be reached
by taking the Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai Route (Highway
No. 118). The park headquarters is right next to
the highway at kilometers 55-56. Visitors wishing
to take a jungle trek and camp within the park
need to procure the services of a guide and prepare
their own camping equipment. The trek through the
Khun Chae jungle is for adventure travel enthusiasts
as the route passes through steep terrain and several
hilltops and cliffs over 1,400 meters high. There
are good scenic lookout points and trekkers can
enjoy waterfalls, flowing streams and virgin jungle
areas covered with various plants.
Wiang Kalong, a newly-developed tourist attraction,
is a community about 16 kilometers from the district
office of Wiang Pa Pao. Ancient furnaces which
were used to make terra cotta utensils called Kalong
have been found in this area. The furnaces are
shaped like turtle shells of various sizes with
a width of 2 to 5 meters. To get there from the
city, drive south along the Divided Highway No.
1 for 8 kilometers then take a right turn onto
Highway No. 118 to Wiang Pa Pao (approximately
75-80 kilometers). For those wishing to travel
from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai via the Doi Saket
Highway No. 1014, it is highly recommended to stop
over at Wiang Kalong as it is on the way to Chiang